Welcome to Diamond Dotz Freestyle!
Explore your creativity and make something new with these brand NEW products
What is Diamond Dotz Freestyle?
The dazzling world of Diamond Dotz is now available in an exciting new Freestyle program? Now you can purchase gems by color, by the jar! Use these 13-faceted gems to create our charted designs or a custom stencil. With the new gridded canvas, plain canvas, sandwich adhesive, and liquid adhesive, you can apply any design to any item.
To get started, pick a design and an item to apply that design to. If your design is charted, you can use grid canvas. When using grid canvas, follow the instructions given in the booklet to bring the design to life. You don't have to apply gems to the whole design; you can dot part of the design and cut it out.
If the design is not charted, you can use plain canvas or no canvas at all. See any booklet for ways you can use the uncharted artwork. Both the liquid adhesive and the sandwich adhesive work well on most fabrics and multiple surfaces.
Well, what are you waiting for? Choose a design, grab your supplies, and let's get started!
How does Diamond Dotz Freestyle work?
Freestyle, like any other Diamond Dotz project, uses the original adhesive, film, and beads. Select your canvas (or medium which you want to dot), pick your adhesive (liquid or sandwich), and bead away! We have over 400 shades which include over 2,000 individual beads in every jar. If you have questions about bead colors or supplies, give us a call!
Each charted design in the books are made up of a key and a gridded chart on which each square represents a square on the Dotz grid fabric (or where you will place your gems if using plain fabric, liquid adhesive, or sandwich adhesive). The symbols in the color key tell which gem color to use for each square in the chart (unless you have a preference to switch out a bead color for a better one). The following headings are given:
Symbol: the symbol used on the chart for that Dotz color number
Dotz Number: the gem color number, shown on the jar
You'll Need: the quantity of that gem needed for the design
Applying Gems to a Surface
1. Choose the first gem color that you would like to work with
2. Pour the gems into a craft tray. Carefully shake the tray and lightly tap it on the table to arrange and separate them.
3. If you are using a fabric sheet with a protective film, peel the film back from the first area you would like to apply the gems to. Do not remove the protective film from the whole fabric piece; gradually peel back the film as you work. Protective film sheets are sold separately for use with liquid adhesive.
4. Open the wax caddy and remove the plastic covering on both the top and bottom of the wax.
5. Press the stylus end into the wax one time all the way through to ensure a good coating. It is important to load the stylus end very well with the wax before picking up the first gem. Once a good coating is achieved, you will not need to dip into the wax caddy so often (usually 150 beads later).
6. Pick up a gem from the tray, making sure to place the head of the stylus over the faceted side of the Dotz, not the flat side
7. Place the gem on the adhesive. The adhesive (on the fabric sheet, liquid, or sandwich) makes It easy to adhere the flat side of the gem to your item. Continue adding gems of that same color until you are finished with that color. Replace any remaining gems back in the jar.
8. Repeat step 7 for each gem color on your design. When you are not working on your project, replace the protective film over the adhesive to protect it from dust.
Working with Plain Canvas (tracing method)
1. The plain canvas is blank and does not have adhesive. You can cut the canvas to size and create your own designs.
2. to transfer a design (such as those in the booklets), photocopy the design or trade it onto tracing paper. Tape the plain canvas and the copied or traced pattern to a light pad (such as the Dotz Lite).
3. Using a fine-point pencil, trace the design onto the plain fabric
4. Apply glue and gems to the traced design as desired. When you are not working on your project, place a sheet of protective film over the adhesive to protect it from dust.
5. When you have completed your project, place the protective film over the gems and firmly roll over the whole design with a brayer or rolling pin. This ensures that the gems are firmly adhered.
Working with Sandwich Adhesive
The sandwich adhesive is a double-sided, very sticky adhesive sheet. Use it to add Diamond Dotz to clothes, shoes, home decor items, or anything you can think of!
1. Using a permanent marker, trace the design onto the clear side of the sandwich adhesive.
2. Cut out the design pieces
3. Carefully remove the paper backing from the sandwich adhesive piece. Place the piece on the item you wish to embellish and press down. Rub your finger over the whole surface, making sure the edges are firmly adhered.
4. Remove the clear covering on the adhesive. Depending on your design, you may want to remove the covering one section at a time. You can use a craft knife to cut the covering along the drawn lines and pull it back, exposing the adhesive.
5. Apply the gems to the adhesive as desired. When you are not working on your project, place a sheet of protective film over the adhesive to protect it from dust.
6. When you have completed your project, place the protective film over the gems and firmly roll over the whole design with a brayer or rolling pin. This ensures that the gems are firmly adhered.
Working with Liquid Adhesive
The liquid adhesive allows you to add Diamond Dotz to any surface. A bottle of liquid adhesive is enough to complete 4 full-coverage 9" x 12" artist canvases.
1. Lay your stencil over the surface or transfer the design to your surface either using a light pad or transfer paper
2. Carefully brush the adhesive on the areas you want to apply Diamond Dotz to; you should see a milky white layer of adhesive on the surface. You can apply the adhesive to one section at a time or to the entire design. Allow the adhesive to dry until it is clear. When adhesive clears completely it is ready for long term adhesion. On non-porous surfaces such as wood, glass, or metal, this may take 9-15 hours. Cover the design and adhesive with a piece of protective film if you will not be applying gems right away.
3. Remove the clear covering on the adhesive. Apply the gems to the adhesive as desired. When you are not working on your project, place a sheet of protective film over the adhesive to protect it from dust.
4. When you have completed your project, place the protective film over the gems and firmly roll over the whole design with a brayer or rolling pin. This ensures that the gems are firmly adhered.
Tips for Success
1. A light pad (like our Dotz Lite) makes seeing the grid easier
2. If you are using sever color gems in an area, you can place each color gems in separate bead trays labeled with the symbol from the color key. This also works well for designs with multiple colors.
3. The AB coated gems are sometimes harder to pick up with the stylus. Try really coating the stylus with wax and approaching the gem at a slight angle instead of straight down
4. If the fabric gets dirty while you are working the design, gently wipe (do not scrub) the fabric with a soft cloth dampened with cold water
5. Wash any fabric (such as a jacket), used with adhesive, and allow to dry thoroughly before starting a project. Many fabrics have chemicals evident which will affect how gems adhere long term.
6. Keep the fabric away from ink pens and paints
7. When using the sandwich adhesive to attach a completed design to an object (such as a box or tray), be sure that the adhesive is all the way to the edges of the design for maximum holding power
8. Close the wax caddy to keep the wax from drying out
9. Once a gem is placed on an adhesive, It is best not to move it. But if you make a mistake or place a gem slightly off silter, you can use the stylus to nudge the gem into the correct position.
10. The liquid adhesive can be removed with rubbing alcohol or alcohol-based cleaners while it is still wet
11. Hand wash any garments that you have decorated with Diamond Dotz
Take Diamond Dotz to the next level by working on your choice of surfaces. Go freestyle with the full line of Diamond Dotz products.